I’m leaving tonight to go visit my boyfriend for a week (yay! hopefully I can blog about new places!) and he told me that he had a box of angel food cake mix, and what could you make with it? Of course, I thought “don’t you read my blog?!”. I posted earlier about Mug Microwave cakes which uses dry angel food mix.
But I wanted to add a few more ideas of what you can make with a box mix:
Bake According to Box Directions. Take one package of Jell-o (any flavor, but I like cherry) and one regular container of cool whip and mix until its a thick mixture and the powder is dissolved.
The result its a “light as air” flavored topping for your cake. Let’s call this “Angel Frosting” then if you’re feeling extra crafty, add some fruit on top!
To make chocolate angel food cake, (Devil’s Food Cake and Angel Food Cake’s Love Child), you can add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder into the dry mix, and prepare as directed on the box.
Another great use for angle food cake is to make french toast out of it.
Here is a great recipe from Sprinkles Bakes
8” Angel food cake prepared
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1. Combine the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla in a shallow dish. Whisk until well incorporated.
2. Slice the angel food cake into 8 pieces with a serrated knife.
3. Soak angel food cake slices in the egg mixture for no longer than 1 minute, turning to coat all sides.
4. Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp. of butter to the pan and swirl until melted.
5. Cook 4 slices of cake at a time, turning to cook on all sides until golden. Add additional 2 tbsp. of butter to pan and let melt before frying the next batch of cake.
6. Place slices on a serving platter in upright cake formation.
7. Cover with maple syrup and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Lastly, you can make a beautiful trifle in a bowl, layer pudding, nutella, fruit, jam, cookies, anything that suits your fancy to make a scoopable dessert that is almost too pretty to eat.
Here are some flavor profiles I love:
Vanilla Pudding+ Bananas+ Brown sugar+ cake cubes
Chocolate Pudding+ Mint Morseles+ crushed up oreos+chocolate angel/devil’s cake
Strawberries+Blueberries+Raspberries+Blackberries+Whipped Cream+ regular cake
Of course there is a million other possibilities too (dump cake as seen on pinterest, cake kabobs, or even a boozed up bread/cake pudding?) Enjoy this heavenly treat!